August 18, 2010

Chinese Cellphone Battery Kills Youth Kota
(Times of India, August 18, 2010)

Jaipur: In a first-of-its-kind incident in the country, a 23-year-old youth died when his mobile phone exploded in Banda village in Kota on Monday. Though there are no witnesses to the incident, it was assumed that he was taking over the phone when it got burst, causing serious injuries to his right ear. The body of the victim, Gopal Gujjar, was found near his farm along with remains of mobile phone and battery on Tuesday morning. 

It is probably the first incident in the country in which a mobile phone exploded while it was not being charged. However, there have been cases when users sustained injuries as phones exploded. In January this year, a 27-year-old housewife in Kadapa in Andhra Pradesh was killed while she was talking to her husband over a Chinese-made mobile phone and simultaneously charging it. 

Deaths due to mobile phone explosion have been reported in a few other countries like China, Korea and Nepal.


No comments: